Mac users may encounter an error with their Office 365 programs that indicates you can no longer edit your documents. This is typically due to either mismatched licenses, the user is not logged into Office, behind on MacOS Updates or the software is corrupted.
Follow the steps below to help remedy this issue.
Make sure your Mac is up to date on system updates.
- From the Apple menu in the corner of your screen, choose System Preferences.
- In the System Preferences window, click Software Update. If your System Preferences doesn't include Software Update, use the App Store to get updates instead.
- Click Update Now or Upgrade Now.
- The system will then search for any updates available and prompt you to begin downloading (if any)
Log out of Microsoft Office and log back in, this sometimes refreshes the licensing.
- In any Office app, select the name of the Office app in the top menu.
- Select Sign Out.
- Quit out of all Office apps.
- Restart your computer
- Open and log back into your office app
Open Finder > Applications.
Command +click to select all of the Office for Mac applications.
Ctrl+click an application you selected and click Move to Trash.
- Right click on the Trash Bin and select Empty Trash.
- Reboot Computer
- Go to Portal.office.com in your browser and log in with your Queens email and password. Double check that it is you logged in by selecting the profile in the top right in case the browser auto logged you in. Sometimes personal accounts can over ride and it downloads an incorrect software package.
- Once you are logged in, you should see a button in the top right that says Install Office, click that and select Office 365 apps
The installer will now download. Instructions should pop-up for how to launch it, will be a bit different depending on your platform and browser.
After installation is completed. Open the product you wish to use. Accept all initial defaults.
For the product to activate you may get prompted to log in with your Queens account. Login with your queens email address and password. With a successful activation, you will get a prompt stating that "this computer has been added to your account".