Mecklenburg County residents who are Library cardholders now have access to award-winning FREE online courses teaching business, technical and creative skills.
Charlotte Mecklenburg Library is pleased to offer its cardholders access to lynda.com's library of instructional videos. Normally, using lynda.com requires a paid subscription, but Charlotte Mecklenburg Library cardholders can now access Lynda.com content from any computer with an Internet connection simply by entering their library card number and password.
Once a cardholder is logged into lynda.com, the next step is to create a personalized account by entering a name and e-mail address. This account can help manage an individual’s course history, playlists, bookmarks, and Certificates of Completion.
What’s available with lynda.com?
More than 3000 courses with 129,942 video tutorials. Most tutorials last several hours but are broken into multiple chapters.
- Software like MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint; Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator.
- Web design: Web graphics, Interactive Design, Prototyping and more.
- Social media and web publishing tools like Facebook, Twitter and Wordpress.
- Business and career skills - productivity, marketing, time management and more.
- Job Search Tools: with Resume design, Searching for Positions, Working with Recruiters and more.Courses for all levels cover technical skills, creative techniques, business strategies, and more. Courses may also include exercise files (practice), closed captioning and text transcripts.
What if I’m not a Mecklenburg County resident?
Non-residents of Mecklenburg County can obtain a Charlotte Mecklenburg Library card for an annual fee of $45.00. This amount is approximately equal to the annual property tax a Mecklenburg County resident pays to support the Library. A non-resident library card entitles you to the full services of the Library at all locations.
- Library cards are free to all Mecklenburg County residents. If you are not a resident of Mecklenburg County, you can purchase a library card on an annual basis.
- Those who aren’t sure what they need can browse curated playlists for ideas.
- The $45.00 non-resident fee is a one-time-per-year charge per household.
- The annual non-resident fee for adults 62 years and older is $35.00.
- No fee is charged to non-residents who own property in Mecklenburg County.
- No fee is charged to non-residents who are students (of any age) enrolled in any private or public school in Mecklenburg County.
- If you have further questions about obtaining a library card, please contact the library branch most convenient for you, or use the online card application to purchase a non-resident card using our secure server.
Visit the library online here for more information http://www.cmlibrary.org/Catalog/getacard_nonres.asp