Note: You should only follow these instructions if you have been instructed to do so by IT Services. Following these instructions will not give you access to university resources unless IT Services has already configured your access.
The Vmware Horizon client is used to access university virtual desktop from a Windows or Mac computer. This client can be used from either on or off campus. Follow the below instructions to install this software on your personal or university issued computer.
- To download the install click on this link mydesktop.queens.edu.
Note: You might need to type the URL into your web browser to get to the page shown in the screenshot below
- Click on "Install VMware Horizon Client"
- Click "Go To Downloads". Make sure it is the most up to date version. In this case the release date is "2023-02-09"
- Click "Download Now"
- Once the download has completed, launch the installer. Depending on the internet browser, you may see the download in the bottom left corner of the browser window, or you may need to navigate to your desktop or the downloads folder on your computer to find it.
- When the installer launches, click the Agree & Install button the start the installation.
- Once the applying screen finishes, click Finish.
- Click the Restart Now button to complete the installation. Make sure to save any work you may have open first.
- Once your computer has rebooted, you can find the Vmware Horizon client either in your start menu, or there should be a shortcut on your desktop.
- Once the client launches, click the Add Server button to link to Queens virtual desktop infrastructure.
- Enter mydesktop.queens.edu as the address of the server.
- When prompted enter your normal Queens username and password to login.
- Once you login, you will see a list of the virtual desktop pools you have been given access to. All Queens users have access to some of the general academic pools, such as Campus_, which are just basic Windows desktops with a few basic applications such as Microsoft Office installed. If you need access to specific enterprise or other applications, a dedicated desktop will be built for you by IT services, and you will be granted access to that Pool.