Though Skype for Business is used for Meetings and Instant Messaging, it can also be used as a Lecture Capture package. This self-help document will walk you through the steps in using Skype for Business for Lecture Capture.
Setting Up the Lecture Capture
In Skype for Business, you will be using the Meet Now function for Lecture Capture.
- In the Skype for Business window, click the drop-down arrow to the right of the Options button
- Click Meet Now
- The Join Meeting Audio dialog box will appear on top of your conversation window; choose Use Skype for Business (integrated audio and video)
- Click OK
- The Conversation dialog box will appear
Beginning the Lecture Capture
- In the meeting window, click on the more options dots in the lower right-hand corner. This will open the Options menu.
- Choose Start Recording from the drop-down list that appears
- At the bottom of your meeting window, below the chat box, a recording message will appear to show that you are recording
- To pause the recording at any time, click the Pause button located at the bottom right of the meeting window
- To stop the recording, click the Stop recording button
Managing Your Recordings
Once you stop recording, there are a few things you must do before you are able to play or share your recording.
1. Press the Stop recording button The Recording Has Stopped dialog box will appear in the Window taskbar. You can click the dialog to go to the Recordings Manager to view progress. The recording will continue processing in the background whether you choose to view it now or not
2. Alternately, in the meeting window you can also click the More Options dots and select Manage Recordings
Play and Share a Recording
When your recording has been processed, you can access it to play or send to others. Skype for Business displays another dialog message when the recording is ready. You can click the alert to open the Recording Manager , or if you miss that, click Tools on the Skype for Business main window, then Recording Manager.
In the Recording Manager window:
Click your recording to highlight it, then click Play on the right side of the window.
You can also rename or delete your recording here.
To share your recording with others, click Browse to locate it, then copy the file to post on a shared location, such as OneDrive or you can post directly into MyCourses as a Kaltura Video Resource
*Recordings are saved in the Videos/Skype for Business Recordings folder on your computer.
**You must choose a separate location other than the local computer (such as OneDrive or Kaltura in Mycourses) to save the file to. Otherwise, you can only access the recording from the computer you used during the recording process if you do not.
***Note: These video files can become quite large if you are recording for an extended period of time. It is recommended that you save a copy of your recording and convert it to .mp4 format if this is the case. For more information about file conversion and recommended programs please contact the help desk.